Hope this helps at least one person!
What is a Brazilian Keratin Treatment?- The BKT is a treatment that temporarily loosens one curls. It is a two step process which entails the actual liquid Keratin treatement and a preservative solution then blowdrying and/or flat-ironing your hair at high heat levels (usually 450 degrees) to set the treatment in.
*If you are looking for frizz free, straighter hair, then this would work for you. The Keratin will also strengthen your hair because as you know; Keratin is Protein and our hair is made of protein.
*Said to work best on already chemically treated hair(color treated, relaxed..etc)- This is because the Keratin
* Some relaxed heads who have gotten these treatments reported that it loosened their hair texture at the line of demarcation(where the new-growth and relaxed ends meet)
*Many of these treatments contained high levels of formaldehyd which has been known to cause ventalation and health issues- Now we all know actual Keratin treatments or protein Treatments can't straighten our hair, they actually strenghten our hair..so another ingredient would have to be added to get the straight effect.
*The first application requires high heats which is either just blow-drying or blow-drying and flat ironing up to 450 degrees to seal in the Keratin
* It's expensive (generally $300+ if done at a reputable salon)
* Requires some research before taking the plunge
* It is not permanent so touch-ups are necessary- More so if using a brand not containing formaldehyde
* It will wash out if washing hair with shampoo containing sodium chloride
* If you are natural it can definetly alter your curl pattern
Because there are sooo many different brands of the BKT, I can't offer any suggestions. Just do your research and due dillegence when choosing to have this treatment done and picking the right salon!
Sources and a few links to Check out
BKT Support Thread on longhaircareforum (If you are not already a member, I highly suggest you become one)
Best BKT Treatment thread on longhaircareforum
Very Informative Video