Hey Ladies and Gents! ;-)
I have received MANY questions about twists on relaxed or transitioning hair.
So, I decided to do a quick post on it.
Now you all know that twists were my signature transitioning style. I wore them about 90% of the time to minimize manipulation and keep my hair tangle free.
On to my tips..
- Start on clean hair
- If you're transitioning and have a lot of new-growth, they tend to look best on stretched hair. So, air-dry your hair in plaits or twists.
- For my relaxed heads, it's best to do twists on textured hair. So, air-dry in plaits or twists. This way, the twists will look more full
- Use a thick moisturizer(I used either pure shea-butter or a mix) while twisting. This helps with the unraveling as well. Don't use too much though, you don't want super greasy hair
- Use two equal amounts of hair while twisting. You don't want to borrow hair from one side. That's just asking for tangles when removing them.
- The looser the twist, the fuller your hair looks
- Curl the ends with straws, perm rods, flexi-rods, etc to avoid straight ends
- To care for twists, very little moisturizer is needed on a daily or as needed basis. They tend to hold moisture pretty well.
- Have fun with them. Experiment with styles and treat them like you're loose hair
If you have any more questions, you know how to reach me.
If you haven't taken the poll in my previous post, please do so. Thank you!!!